Cider Glazed Carrots
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
2 lbs of carrots – If they are small just wash them and trim the ends. If they are large, you will want to trim the ends, cut them into 3”-4” long sticks, and cut in half or quarter them lengthwise. You can peel them if you like. Young carrots probably will not need to be peeled, but larger older carrots may need to be peeled. Your call.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 ½ C fresh pressed unpasteurized cider
1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven or heavy skillet with a lid.
- Add the carrots to the melted butter, stir to coat evenly, cover, and let cook for 7-8 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the brown sugar to the carrots and stir. Cook a few more minutes until the brown sugar has dissolved and coated the carrots.
- Add the cider and dry mustard.
- Cover and let simmer for 20-25 minutes until the carrots are starting to get tender but not break down.
- Remove the lid and let simmer for 5-10 more minutes until the liquid reduces and becomes a glaze. Stir to coat the carrots in the glaze. If your glaze gets too thick, add more cider to thin your glaze and let reduce again.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
You may find these carrots need only a little salt, as the cooking process brings out the natural sweetness of the carrots and the cider.